1. I sometimes wish that ____________in this awful city.
A. don’t live B. haven’t lived C. didn’t live D. wouldn’t live
2. “Who is your aunt?”
She’s the lady ________next to the exit.”
A. is sitting B. that she sits C. who sit D. sitting
3. “The earthquake surprised everyone.”
“Yes, I was reading the paper when it ________”
A. had hit B. hit C. has hit D. has been hit
4.”I’ve been working with this puzzle for two hours.”
“It must be a hard one_____________.”
A. solve B. to solve C. solved D. solving
5. I wish _____________.
A. you knew but you don’t B. you know but you don’t C. you knew but you didn’t D. you know but you didn’t
6. _______________next Sunday.
A. I would rather you had come
B. I would rather you have come
C. I would rather you came
D. I would rather you come
7. _______________and you will succeed.
A. Work hard B. Working hard C. If you work hard D. If only you work hard
8. He said if he ______a millionaire, he would travel around the world once a year.
A. is B. were C. was D. would be
9.”The office was in an uproar.”
“Yes, it was full of _______people.”
A. complained B. complaint C. complain D. complaing
10.”Are you leaving?”
“ Yes, but I wish I ___________to go.”
A. didn’t have B. will not have c. don’t have D. may not have
11. They were awaiting official __________of the news they had heard from a friend.
A. recommendation B. statement C. confirmation D. announcement
12. Although they usually did their own painting and papering, on this occasion they brought in a firm of ________decorators.
A. inside B. inward C. interior D. internal
13. In my opinion, standards of workmanship have ______over the past twenty years.
A. aggravated B. diminished C. deteriorated D. eroded
14. He tries to __________himself with everyone by paying them compliments.
A. gratify B. please C. ingratiate D. commend
15. When the police examined the house, they found that the lock had been ________with.
A. touched B. tampered C. broken D. hindered
16. In those days a girl could not get married if her father _______his consent.
A. forbade B. upheld C. rejected D. withheld
17. The zoo attendant opened the cage and tried to _________the animal back in.
A. coax B. induce C. seduce D. convince
18. The ruling party is worried in case they lose _________control of the City Council in the forthcoming elections.
A. overall B. whole C. unanimous D. mass
19. I liked the coat but was rather __________off by the price.
A. shaken B. put C. set D. held
20. This man is so arrogant that he is completely ____________to all criticism.
A. impervious B. unaware C. regardless D. unconscious